Update for Shana R. Goetsch

3Tributaries

I'm pleased to announce that my visual thesis, 3Tributaries started last weekend! I have been creating three separate suites of images that will be on display in the coming months at three different locations in Baltimore City. The first reception will be at 901 Arts, 901 Montpelier Street, on March 11, from 5:30 to 7:00 PM. I will be there to meet and speak with eveyone about teen dating violence and my visual thesis. More information about my time with the 901 Arts community youth, and the exhibition, which premiered February 11, is below. 

_________________________________________________________

1 901 Arts

As the AmeriCorps Artist-in-Residence for the House Of Ruth Maryland, I have been facilitating art workshops with shelter residents since October. Lately, we have focused our creative energies on the concepts of “safety” and “protection”. When I was asked recently to serve as a guest artist and facilitate classes in Baltimore’s Better Waverly neighborhood, I brought these same themes, concepts and art techniques to the youth at 901 Arts.

The youth and I discussed the reasons domestic violence shelters exist and why women and children might seek a safe haven like the House of Ruth. After our discussion, the youth developed collograph printmaking plates addressing the theme of “safe spaces”.

The youth created beautiful art work, conceptually and visually! They were especially interested in investigating the safe spaces in their own lives.

The art work displayed here is part one of my three-part visual thesis, 3Tributaries. The row house images on display not only reference national domestic violence statistics, but also explore techniques and metaphors in printmaking.  

It is an honor to show my work in conjunction with that of the Better Waverly community residents. Thank you to program coordinators Cait Byrnes, Sarah Tooley and all of the talented youth at 901 Arts for inviting me!

Current information about this three-part exhibition can be found at: http://artinshanaty.blogspot.com/