Alyson Moore is a community artist and teacher from Northern Virginia.  She has worked for the past four years with various non-profits and volunteer organizations across the country and is currently serving her second term in AmeriCorps with the Community Art Collaborative as Artist-in-Residence at Hampden Family Center.

Artist Statement

Where we are standing is not new, but it is not old.  It is always moving and forever fixed, ever expanding and ever collapsing, the rise and fall of a thousand lifetimes at once.  I’m interested in the places where we overlap: where the past and the present become looped in the future, where strangers meet without knowing, and coincide without intention.

We are walking Venn diagrams, thousands of millions of moments overlapping in the places we go and objects we touch.  Have you ever stood at a gas pump and wondered who the last person to fill their tank was?  Where were they going? Where were they leaving?  What car were they driving, and why?  Or picked up a used book, and noticed the notes scrawled in the corner, tiny underlines mapping back a moment?  Fingerprints pressed to the pages, only to be picked up by another.

I remember being five years old and finding a bullet shell inside a desk from a thrift store.  My mind marveled at the fact that someone else had owned this desk, that my hands were not the first to run alongside the sandy oak at the back of the drawer.  In another time and place this scene had played out before; it had a history before me, and it would have one after me. It accumulated experiences, absorbed moments. I breathed in deep, letting in all the places my hands had touched, letting the wood of the desk rise and fall with the coming and going of the present, absorbing the details in my lungs then sending them back into the World. I stood there and wondered at where that air would go next, and here I stand, eighteen years later, still wondering.

My work is about that wonder.  It is about unpacking these overlaps and standing amongst the vibrating layers.  I want to create a dialogue between people and moments that are forever intertwined, though rarely acknowledged.