Community Projects

During my residency at The Club At Collington Square, I was fortunate to work on many diverse projects that engaged community members of all ages. These projects all aimed to provide an outlet for creative expression and personal growth, as well as strengthen the community through artistic processes and products.

In this section of my digital portfolio, you will find in depth information and photos of the following projects:

• Middle School Leadership Group - I assisted in developing this new initiative in Fall 2009, together with the staff members at The Club and director Julia Di Bussolo. This leadership training group for students at The Club in grades 5 - 8 is a youth-driven effort to activate the middle school students at agents of change in the community

•  A dult Art Workshops at The Club - I was awarded a Community Service  Grant from MICA's Office of Student Affairs in October 2009 to re-establish art  making workshops for adults in the community, which had di scontinued since mid-Spring 2009. Together with local artist Ms. Ida Hopkins, we facilitated four jewelry making workshops from Dec. 2009 - April 2010.  
  • Middle School Mylar Collages - In Fall 2009, I facilitated this art making project with middle school students at The Club. Students answered the questions, "Where are you from?" and "Where are you going?" in a multi-media collage on Mylar (clear plastic) paper. Their artwork was accepted into the Wide Angle Youth Media annual festival and was on display at Center Stage in April 2010.
  • Elementary School Shield Project - In Spring 2010, I facilitated a shield-making project with the elementary school students at The Club (Pre-K - 3rd grade). Students created shields out of a variety of collage materials that expressed their unique qualities, strengths, and interests. When the shields were completed, we marched in a parade around the Collington Commons with the shields and banners that we painted, to show off the incredible artwork the students created, and demonstrate community strength.
  • Banners for Collington Square - Also in Spring 2010, elementary school students at The Club created paintings of their favorite person, place or thing in the neighborhood. I collaged the paintings together in two 3 ft x 5 ft banners, and then the banner were re-printed on weatherproof vinyl. Today, 2 large banners and 5 flags of their paintings hang in the neighborhood on the gates of the Commons, and on the facade of the Mura St. Center. The banners represent the voice of the community's youth, and the everlasting commitment of The Club to serve the neighborhood.