Jared's piece on stopping domestic violence.

The smART Summer Institute exists to increase cultural exchange, development, and art advocacy amongst the peoples of St. Croix. By using visual and language arts to facilitate dialogue among participants in art-based workshops, youth engage in a variety of creative processes to express their ideas and articulate their cultural heritage.

My classmate, Michelle Faulkner, and I had the opportunity to partner through MICA with the University of the Virgin Islands and the Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts to develope the pilot, smART Summer Institute, in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands. I directed the smART program at the Carribbean Museum Center of the Arts working with co-founder, Cynthia Hatfield, and teaching staff: Suenita Banwaree, Stephen Chapman, Sara Lee Hayes, and Raydiance K. Watts-Clarke. Through teaching classes in graphic design, clay, drawing, fashion design and a mapping project, we addressed issues of identity and how to utlitze art to bring about social change in St. Croix.