THE ZINGER

In this MIcro-lab the students arrange a

• reflective object
  • colored object
  • white object
  • dramatic lighting
  • shadows moving over 2 colors
  • attention to SIZE-VIEW-PLACEMENT
  • composition touches 3 sides

HONORS STUDIO   ASSORTED DRAWINGS AND PAINTINGS BY THE AP STUDIO STUDENTS

'DON'T TOUCH THE EDGES"

• To help students understand " color mapping" they had to do the following:
  • sketch composition with pencil lightly on canvas. ONE ball with cast shadow
  • ball large (balance of positive and neg space)
  • map all hadows andhighlighs with pencil
  • THE EDGES OF EACH SHAPE CANNOT TOUCH. YOU MUST HAVE A "HOT" EDGE
  • OF RED PAINT BETWEEN EACH SHADOW/HIGHLIGHT SHAPE.YOU CANNOT BLEND BETWEEN SHADOW SHAPES.
  • do same in the cast shadows. leave a hot edge between each color change and AROUND the cast shadow.
  • 3 class periods to complete

In this painting I wanted to create as realistic colors as possible. In the end, I found the many colors in the tomatoes. Where I thought it was pure red, it ended up being a red green or some other color I didn't think that I would find. My favorite part about my painting is the stem of the tomatoes and the reflection on the plate. The reflection took a backseat to the actual tomatoes while I was painting, but it ended up being something that I really loved in the end. The most difficult part of this painting was blending in the white accents. I enjoy slapping color on, but I hardly ever blend, so this was atask for me. Overall, I feel like I made a great composition and this is my favorite work so far.

The students first foray into color. Oil Pastel Color Search

Subject: a pool ball next to a white object, dramatically lit.

after thumbnails to set S_V_P they enlaged to 11x14in and mixed their colors on paper next to drawing. never attemped this step, usuall do thi in oils but this worked great with Art 1 and now we will do the Zinger in oilpastel.

My painting is about the different colors in black and white. In my painting I wanted to incorporate every color phenomenon possible. I found oranges in the tan color of the sneaker and I found blues in a black. I added sunglasses for color to tie things together, but my favorite part is the shoe. I also enjoy the shadows from the shoe strings. After this painting, I'm probably going to add more palette knife work in my compositions. The palette knife allowed me to do the chunks of color that I love and look cooler than a brush.

NEGATIVE SPACE CHAIR PAINTINGS

Came up with an interesting variant on the drawing the chair /neg space lesson. Students drew the chair in their sketchbooks planning the composition and sighting all angles. They then made a small 6x8in oil painting  on panels. We gessoed them and color grounded them . These are the little paintings. But I let them choose between 3 ideas. 1. Small oil study(the panels) 2. 2 page spread of chairs in a room( same chair- different angles- placed on picture plane in perspective and 3.  two chairs in a relationship.) The kids enjoyed the freedom of picking their concept.