Integrating art with Social Studies, my third graders discussed their experiences with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (most of which consist of riding over the bridge to visit Ocean City, MD). We studied the photograph and discussed weather, time of day and the horizon.

Students began suggesting the weather and time of day in a "Bayscape" tempera painting, avoiding a horizon line that is "Dead Center." 

During the next lesson, we analyzed several paintings to discover ways that artists suggest depth and began painting in the background, middleground and foreground.

On the third lesson, students brainstormed various watercraft that may be seen on the bay and creating their own.

Finally, students are completing their "Bayscapes" by adding their boats and utilizing color, size, detail, overlapping, and placement to suggest depth.

Second Graders participated ina micro lab in which they drew a pumpkin using their schema. Next real pumpkins were brought out for students to draw from observation. They compared the two drawings and discovered that, that the observation drawings were better! The next week, I had a fall still life arrangement from which my students drew from observation. I walked around proudly as my budding artists gathered around the still life sketching from their drawing boards. After the first lesson on sketching, I introduced Emphasis and students began outlining and adding color. On the third and final lesson, I introduced contrast of color/texture for emphasis and students added sponge painting and watercolors.

Fourth grade exploration of positive and negative space using leaves.

As part of the Developing Literacy and Language Through the Arts program, my kindergarteners studied The Striding Lion at the BMA.  Initially, students created individual  AB mosaic patterns in a grid. On the next lesson, children sketched various types of cats. For the culminating activity, I enlarged one student's drawing which she titled "The Hiding Cat" and students worked cooperatively to to create a large mosaic.

As part of the DLLA II program for kindergarteners, we continued to study prints from the BMA. On this unit, students examined Interior with Dog by Henri Matisse. We began the first lesson by discussing patterns and creating our own, (which would later become the wall and floor for our "interior".

For our next lesson, we surveyed pets and made a graph of popular pets in each class. Students combined and arranged shapes to create their own pets. We completed the unit by looking at other Matisse paintings and making a list of items we might find in their "interior" rooms. Students used directional words such as inside, under, beside, above, behind, etc, to add objects to their art and describe their interiors.

My first graders are currently learning about color theory as they study the art of Marc Franz, the painter of animals. Instead of painting animals with realistic colors, he chose colors that express feeling. Children chose the appropriate color for their animal and then add the complimentary color somewhere in the habitat for emphasis.